Wednesday, July 4, 2007

More Star Wars Action

Amongst the many books I read during my hiatus from the blog include Book 4 of the Legacy of the Force series of Star Wars books. This entry, called _Exile_ is brought by the pen of Aaron Allston. I like genre fiction; I won't deny it. It's comforting, can be fun, and every once in a while you get a real corker. This one, however, is lots more of the same.

Jacen Solo, Jedi Knight, continues his slide to the Dark Side, assisted along by a half-Sith with motives of her own. And there's this krazy female Twi-lek in it..

Blah, blah, blah...

Reading this series, I get the feeling it could have been compressed into a trilogy. It's not. I felt like not a whole lot went on here: more politicking, more mistrust, more Luke concerned about his son Ben. I already have quite a bit invested in the series, so I HAVE to finish it now (I'm a little obsessive to boot...). Hopefully later books will pick up more on the action...

For my next entry, I'm going to write about Mike Stackpole's latest ( and rare) entry in the Mechwarrior franchise of genre fiction, _Masters of War_. There's been a bit of electrons spilled on this book --well written but plot holes you can drive an Atlas through. I like to make up my own mind on that. And while I've always liked Stackpole's writing (the Warrior trilogy is amongst my favorites), the words I've read in response to this book have me concerned. We'll see.

I'm also going on vacation, and plan to read while down on the beach. I have an omni of Drake's Hammer's Slammers, so I think that'll go into the queue. After that...?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I've never been into the assorted genre series, aside from reading a few Star Trek books a very long time ago.

But I did enjoy the Hammer's Slammer's books I read, though I read them so long ago that I don't really recall any details any more.

Have you read any of the Honor Harrington stuff?

Lance Miller said...

Damon, if you're interested at all in audio books, Mike Stackpole just started podcasting his book Fortress Draconis one chapter at a time. I'm enjoying it so far.

Which series of Stackpole's Btech fiction did you enjoy the most? I haven't read any of the Btech stuff, but I'm interested in checking it out.

Damon said...

Sorry, I have not read any Harrington stuff yet, but definitely something I'll look into...

Lance, the Battletech books are permanently OOP, but usually are easy to find on Ebay. Stackpole wrote two "classic" Battletech trilogies: The Warrior Trilogy (Warrior: En Garde, Warrior: Coupe, and Warrior: Riposte) as well as the Blood of Kerensky series (Lethal Heritage, Blood Legacy, Lost Destiny). He's written a few more Battletech books, but these are the "core" novels, and also the ones many fans believe are the finest examples of Battletech fiction.

Currently Mechwarrior is the only line still publishing (if you don't count the e-fiction site Battlecorps). These books tend to have highs and lows, and I'm not so sure they would be easy to get into in the middle of the series (there are 20-some books out so far...). They also tend to be variable, with very good entries, and some abysmally poor ones as well...

Damon.